By Jil Sullivan, BSN, RN, Director of Nursing, Arnold House Nursing Home
Choosing the right Nursing Home is a very important decision that can affect the quality of life and happiness for your loved one.
In my opinion, these are the 5 most important things to look for when you’re making that decision.
CLICK HERE to download a printable checklist to bring with you when you visit a nursing home.
- Check the Staff to Resident ratio. This is the single most important factor in making sure your loved one gets great care. The Nursing Staff to Resident ratio determines how much personal time and attention each resident will get. (At Arnold House, our daytime Nursing Staff to Resident ratio is 1 to 4, one of the best in New England.)
- Observe the Staff. Look to see if the staff interacts well with the residents. Do they seem to enjoy being with the residents? Do they work well with other staff members? Can the staff answer questions about the residents? Ask if the staff has been working there a long time.
- How does the place feel? Trust your instincts on this one. Does the place have a loving, homey feel to it or does it feel like an institution? Does it appear clean and well maintained? Is there an unpleasant smell about the home? Is the temperature comfortable for resident? Is there good lighting? Do the residents seem happy? Do the employees seem happy?
- What’s the food like? Healthy, nutritious food is critical to maintaining good health. Ask some questions about the food. Is the menu nutritious? Do residents have a choice of food items at each meal? Does the nursing home provide for special dietary needs? Does the staff help residents eat and drink at meals if help is needed?
- Are there daily activities? Activities are very important to good mental health. Do the residents take part in activities on a daily basis? Is there a personalized activities plan for each resident? Do they have parties, outings and celebrations? Are residents’ minds being stimulated every day?
If you have any questions, call Jil or AnnMarie at 781-438-1116 or email us at email@example.com.